Orlin & Cohen Postgame Report: Rock drop Riptide 15-7 - New York Riptide


Powered By
MGM Logo
Scores / Schedule

Orlin & Cohen Postgame Report: Rock drop Riptide 15-7

Jeff Teat was held without a goal for the first time this season and Riptide forwards were held to just four goals at the Nassau Coliseum on Saturday night as the New York Riptide fell to 0-3, dropping a 15-7 decision to the Toronto Rock.

The Riptide came out hot, scoring the first three goals of the game. Callum Crawford opened the scoring in his return to action with 9:41 left in the first quarter finishing off a feed from Larson Sundown in tight.

Defender Kevin Brownell doubled the lead less than two minutes later with a shorthanded goal in transition, and defender Scott Dominey scored a third for the Riptide with 4:18 left in the third. Toronto got on the board with 3:42 left in the period through Corey Small, and the score would remain 3-1 until the end of the first quarter, thanks in large part due to 14 saves from Steven Orleman.

Toronto started better in the second, scoring the first four goals of the frame before Sundown scored off a twister with 5:04 left to make it a one goal game once again. This was short lived however, as Zach Manns scored his second goal just 42 seconds later. Dominey got his second of the game with 2:06 left with a breakaway finish following a stretch pass from Orleman. Mitch de Snoo picked up another with 1:02 left, and that would be it, with the Rock holding a 7-5 lead at halftime, with Orleman making 31 saves.

Toronto came out of the locker room strong in the second half, scoring all 7 goals in the third quarter. After TD Ierlan made it 13-5, Orleman was replaced by Gowah Abrams in net having stopped 38 of the 51 shots he faced. The Riptide headed into the final frame trailing 14-5.

Orleman said “We didn’t stay the course and that hurts us. And when a team eventually starts to pull ahead, then you’re battling back for the rest of the game. That hurts you guys. It’s not good.”

Long Island native Tom Schreiber made it a double digit lead for Toronto before the Riptide finally got their first goal of the second half with a power play tally from Sundown with 4:48 left in the game, breaking a scoring drought of over 27 minutes, and Crawford got his second after intercepting a pass and springing himself on a breakaway with 1:32 left, but it was mere consolation as the Riptide dropped their third straight game.

Sundown, who scored twice for the second straight game, said “Win or lose, you can always get better. Especially when you lose, the mistakes are magnified, and I think everyone can go home and take a look in the mirror and understand that ‘I have more to give,’ even if you’re giving your best right now, you still have more to give.”

The Riptide return to action on Sunday, January 15 at Nassau Coliseum against the undefeated Rochester Knighthawks. January 15th’s game will be available to watch on MSGSN 2 and ESPN+, and listen to on WRHU 88.7 FM, WRHU.org and the WRHU iPhone App. Live stats and periodic in-game updates will be available via Twitter @NewYorkRiptide.

New York Riptide